4155.1 Probation and Parole Officers
Probation officers monitor the conduct and behaviour of criminal offenders serving probation terms. Parole officers monitor the reintegration of criminal offenders serving the remainder of sentences while conditionally released into the community on parole.
case manager – corrections
youth worker – corrections
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to evaluate offenders' progress in meeting goals and maintaining the terms specified in their probation contracts and rehabilitation plans, and to assess offenders' prospects for successful reintegration into the community; may participate in policy development
- Verbal ability to interview offenders, police, family, friends, school authorities and employers to prepare pre-sentence reports, and to interview probationers and parolees regularly
- Social interest in mentoring in order to plan rehabilitation programs with offenders by establishing rules of conduct, goals and objectives; and in referring offenders to community and social service programs
- Methodical interest in co-ordinating information to compile case records and in submitting information and recommendations to parole boards; may perform administrative duties
- Directive interest in supervising the terms of probation orders, and in recommending remedial action or initiating court action when probationers or parolees violate the terms of rehabilitation programs; may supervise support staff
L1Regulated inside climate
- A bachelor's degree in social work, criminology, psychology, sociology or other related social science discipline is required.
- A master's degree in social work, criminology, psychology or other related social science discipline may be required.
Community and correctional facilities
Federal and provincial governments
Progression to correctional service management positions is possible with additional training or experience.
Community and Social Service Workers (4212)
Correctional Service Officers (6462)
Correctional services managers (in 0314 Managers in Social, Community and Correctional Services)
Social Workers (4152)