0611.4 Public Relations Managers
Public relations managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of establishments and departments involved in public relations.
director, media relations
director, public relations
fundraising campaign manager
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to plan and organize activities of establishments and departments that develop and implement public relations programs and communication strategies
- Verbal and numerical ability to review and evaluate research reports on public attitudes, to oversee the preparation of publicity and information programs and to review company advertising and sales promotion campaigns
- Directive interest in co-ordinating information to direct and evaluate activities of establishments and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs, publicize activities and events, and maintain media relations on behalf of businesses, governments and other organizations; and in controlling the release and distribution of publicity
- Social interest in negotiating with senior management to develop public relations policies; and in conferring with associates in industrial relations concerning communications programs for employees, and in maintaining relations with media representatives on behalf of companies and other organizations
- Innovative interest in overseeing development of public relations policies, communication strategies, information programs and public awareness campaigns
L1Regulated inside climate
- Public relations managers require a university degree or college diploma in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism or in a related field
several years of experience as an advertising officer, public relations officer, communications officer or in a related occupation.
Marketing consulting companies
Public relations consulting companies
Progression to senior management positions is possible with experience.
Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications (5124)
Retail Trade Managers (0621)
Retail Trade Supervisors (6211)
Senior Managers – Trade, Broadcasting and Other Services, n.e.c. (0015)