0513 Recreation and Sports Program and Service Directors
Recreation and sports program and service directors plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operation of comprehensive recreational and sport programs and services, national and provincial sports-governing agencies and professional athletic teams.
director of recreation
director of sports administration
professional football team manager
professional hockey team manager
professional track and field team manager
sport association director
sports federation director
sports programs director
YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) programs director
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to plan and organize the operations of recreation and sports programs and services and to organize national and provincial training, coaching, officiating and other programs associated with particular sports
- Verbal ability to arrange for sponsorships from public and private organizations and to recruit professional coaches and athletes
- Numerical ability to prepare budget estimates
- Directive interest in co-ordinating information to direct, control and evaluate the operations of recreation and sports programs and services, and to manage the operation of sports governing agencies or professional athletic teams; and in providing technical and professional advice on recreational and sports matters and in directing fundraising drives
- Methodical interest in negotiating business contracts; and in administering national and provincial training, coaching, officiating and other sports-related programs
- Innovative interest in developing long range plans and in developing policies and procedures to implement programs
L1Regulated inside climate
- A university degree in recreology, physical education, sports administration or a related field
a college diploma in recreation management or sports administration is usually required.
- Several years of experience in an occupation related to recreation and sports administration, consulting or programming are usually required.
- Some directors of recreation may be required to have a Municipal Recreation Director's Certificate.
- Executive directors of sports governing agencies may be required to have coaching certification in a particular sport.
Community and private recreational organizations
Professional athletic team organizations
Sport governing agencies
Recreation, Sports and Fitness Program Supervisors and Consultants (4167)
Sports Officials and Referees (5253)