0313.2 Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education
Administrators of elementary and secondary education plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the academic affairs of school systems.
administrator, board of education
chief superintendent – schools
director of education, correctional institution
director of school for the hearing impaired
district school superintendent
superintendent of elementary education
superintendent of secondary schools
superintendent of special education
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning and verbal ability to evaluate curricula, teaching methods and community participation in programs for school districts, and to revise programs as required
- Numerical ability to make recommendations concerning annual operating budgets of school districts
- Directive interest in co-ordinating information to plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through school principals, the academic affairs of school districts; and in directing and supervising the recruitment, appointment, training, evaluation and promotion of teachers
- Methodical interest in developing and administering programs for the education and training of students
- Social interest in negotiating with other administrators, specialists and subordinates to develop programs and arrive at decisions
L1Regulated inside climate
- A bachelor's degree in education is required.
- A master's degree in education may be required.
- Several years of experience as a senior teacher or department head are required.
- Administrators of elementary and secondary education may require a supervisory officer certificate.
Administrators – Post-Secondary Education and Vocational Training (0312)
Education Policy Researchers, Consultants and Program Officers (4166)
Government Managers – Education Policy Development and Program Administration (0413)
Senior Managers – Health, Education, Social and Community Services and Membership Organizations (0014)